True to the mission of Desert AIDS Project, we enhance and promote the health and well-being of our community by providing our trans and gender non-conforming (TGNC) clients a gender-affirming environment where they can feel safe, respected, and treated with dignity.
Our clinicians follow World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) guidelines, and obtain WPATH training and continuing education in the assessment and treatment of gender dysphoria.
We recognize that our services and programs are most effective when we address socio-cultural issues that contribute to the risks and issues of stigma and discrimination specific to the TGNC community. By providing services designed to empower and engage our TGNC clients in ongoing relationships with their primary care provider, we address the full spectrum of health and wellness needs. Our medical team work closely with other disciplines in behavioral health, community health, nutrition services, and social services to provide all of our clients compassionate and comprehensive care.
Our clinician provide:
• Primary and Preventative Care
• Hormone Care
• Wellness services such as immunizations, lower exam with PAP and HPV testing; as well as referrals for mammograms, bone density scans, colonoscopy, abdominal aortic aneurysm screening, lung cancer screening, and colposcopy if needed
• Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) screenings and treatment
• HIV Specialty Care such as testing, treatment, and prevention, including PrEP and PEP
• Hepatitis C screening and treatment
• High-resolution anoscopy for detection and treatment of high-grade anal dysplasia (pre-cancerous lesions in the anal canal)
• Annual physicals and pre-op evaluation
• Referrals for Behavioral Health
• Referrals and collaboration with specialists for gender affirming surgeries and procedures
• Nutrition services
• Onsite laboratory diagnostic services
D.A.P. is committed to providing high quality, culturally-competent Behavioral Health services to both HIV positive and HIV negative adult members of the Desert TGNC community. Our clinicians provide mental health and substance use assessment and treatment; individual and group psychotherapy; and psychiatric medication assessment and management.
Our Behavioral Health providers work to maximize the overall psychological well-being, quality of life, and self-fulfillment for our transgender and gender nonconforming clients; to help clients achieve long-term comfort with their gender identity and expression; and promote success in relationships, education and work.
Our clinicians provide:
• Psychotherapy assistance to explore gender identity and expression, to help facilitate coming out processes, and to address the negative impacts of gender dysphoria and stigma;
• Assessment, referral and preparation for feminizing/masculinizing medical interventions such as hormones and surgery;
• Help in enhancing social and peer supports, improving body image, and promoting resilience;
• Psychological support and education for partners and family;
• Psychotherapy for coexisting mental health/substance use concerns, including for issues unrelated to gender dysphoria.
Your journey is special, and you have a unique story to tell. Let us be part of your journey, and let’s create a beautiful story together. Call us at ***, send us an email at ***, or complete and submit the form below.
We accept Medi-Cal, Medicare, most major insurance plans, and some HMOs. If you are currently not insured, Desert AIDS Project wants to work with you to find a way to get into care through Covered California or determine your eligibility for medical and drug assistance programs.