Contact: Jack Bunting
DAP Doubles Impact at COVID-19 Clinic with Treatment Plus Testing
Innovative approach creates model for other cities across U.S.
(Palm Springs, CA) March 20, 2020 -- DAP believes that offering treatment at the same site as screening and testing is essential to flatten the curve of any epidemic, and especially Coronavirus. With every visit to the COVID-19 Clinic at DAP, clients will be evaluated for multiple upper and lower respiratory diseases.
While screening and some testing for COVID-19 are starting to become more available throughout the Coachella Valley, the COVID-19 Clinic at DAP is the only clinic offering treatment for other respiratory illness that can present in a similar manner. The uninsured are never turned away.
DAP opened the COVID-19 Clinic to alleviate anticipated pressure on local emergency rooms and hospitals. As is the trend nationally, sick people needing emergency care for unchecked respiratory illness are expected to increase greatly in the Coachella Valley. Yesterday it was reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that the number of confirmed U.S. COVID-19 cases surpassed 10,000, doubling over two days.
“It’s in the very DNA of Desert AIDS Project to respond quickly to public health crisis using science and medicine to create a humanitarian response,” said David Brinkman, CEO. “We are using our tested roadmaps from the HIV and HCV epidemics to respond to COVID-19." Helping people survive epidemics is in the Coachella Valley has been the core specialty of DAP for 35 years. With the largest infectious disease team of clinicians in this region of California, DAP offers modern medical care, anchored by a deep understanding of Coachella Valley epidemiology.
Although largely due to increased testing, the numbers send a clear message that to mitigate calamity due to COVID-19 in our valley, we must act now to test, treat and monitor those who are suffering.
By linking those who need it to care immediately, we are able to stop the spread of respiratory illness and alleviate suffering.
DAP’s approach to COVID-19 in our valley is:
- Educating the public via 760-992-0407, desertaidsproject.org and all social media channels,
- Testing those who are screened and found to be at risk,
- And treating mild-to-moderate symptomatic patients.
Treatment provided for upper and lower respiratory infections at DAP’s COVID-19 Clinic includes:
- Oxygen Therapy for patients who have lower than normal levels
- Nebulizer treatments to open airways and address shortness of breath
- IV Fluids for dehydration
- Fever control with medication
- Community Acquired Pneumonia Treatment – Injection of antibiotics and ability to prescribe medications to our DAP Walgreens (overnight home delivery available)
- Influenza A & B testing and treatment
- Strep Throat testing and treatment
- Learn more about DAP’s COVID-19 Emergency Response at: org/support-our-mission/make-a-donation/
- For a Q&A on COVID-19 at: org/questions-and-answers-on-coronavirus/
- Learn more about DAP’s COVID-19 Clinic at: https://www.desertaidsproject.org/desert-aids-project-opens-covid-19-clinic/
- Watch Dr. Foltz’s Daily Update Video here: https://www.facebook.com/DesertAIDSProject/videos/324236431870156/
About Desert AIDS Project
Desert AIDS Project (DAP) is a Federally Qualified Health Center in Palm Springs, CA offering DAP Total Care – a combination of medical, dental, counseling, social services, support groups, alternative therapies, in-house pharmacy and lab, and other health and wellness services. DAP’s sexual health clinic, The DOCK, offers STD testing and treatment, Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP), and HIV and HCV testing. DAP’s Get Tested Coachella Valley campaign, the nation’s first region-wide free HIV testing and access to care initiative, was recognized by the White House for helping to bring about an AIDS-free future. DAP has earned a “Four Star” rating from Charity Navigator for the twelfth consecutive year – landing DAP in the top 6% of nonprofits rated. The distinction recognizes that we exceed industry standards in terms of our financial health, accountability, and transparency.